Monday, September 3, 2012

Apfelpfannkuchen

Apfelpfannkuchen - WOW what a mouthful!  I can translate this to mean "Apple Pancake".  Please understand that I don't speak but about 3 words of German.  When I translated this, well I could have said, "YUMMY" but... I'm sure that isn't even close!

Before we begin with this recipe let me start by giving you some background and a warning!  I grew up most of my life in Ohio.  My Mamaw and Papaw were of solid German descent and Mamaw cooked variations of many German dishes that I'm familiar with now.  I can remember, as a very small child sitting at the breakfast table after doing our farm chores, the mouthwatering smells of apples cooking.  Since Mamaw has gone on to her rewards in heaven, I can't ask her for her recipe.  I've spent 30+ years searching for something close to her apple breakfast pancake/cake/bread.  I think I was about 5 years old the last time I had this at her house.

Well I've finally found a recipe that is pretty close to what I remember.  Apfelpfannkuchen!!  I should tell you that I searched books and the web to come up with this recipe which is a combination of several different recipes.

WARNING - this is NOT to be consumed if you are on a diet!!!  This is FAR from diet food.  That said....

This recipe gives me a sweet apple treat that rises like a souffle, turns a beautiful golden brown in my oven - and when removed from the oven it gently falls and forms an eggy delightful treat.  We eat this for breakfast, but it could be served as a desert. The aroma which fills my kitchen is apple cinnamon and YUM!

I have been known to adjust the spices to taste!
     1/2 cup AP Flour                    4 eggs at room temperature
     1 Tbs of sugar                         1 cup room temperature milk
     1/2 tsp baking powder            1/4 cup + 3 TBS of butter
     1/8 tsp salt                              1/2 tsp vanilla
     1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg      ground cloves
     1/2 cup brown sugar                1/2 tsp cinnamon
     1 lg tart apple                       

Preheat oven to 425 degrees
1 - In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt

2 - Then add & combine eggs, milk, 3 TBS melted butter, 1/8 tsp nutmeg and vanilla.

3 - Set the bowl aside for a 1/2 hour on the counter

4 - After the batter is together, peel and core one large apple and then cut it into thin slices

5 - Take a skillet (cast iron works GREAT) that can go from stove top to oven and melt the remaining1/4 cup of butter.  When the butter is melted add the brown sugar, cinnamon and the remaining 1/8 tsp of fresh ground nutmeg to the melted butter and stir gently.  Then add the thinly sliced apples. 

6 - Let this simmer gently on the stove until the mixture is bubbly and the apples have begun to soften

After step 6 is completed
7 - Pour the batter into the pan with the apples
After step 7 is completed
8 - Gently stir the mixture to incorporate all of the ingredients
After step 8 is completed
9 - Now pop this in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and finish the Apfelpfannkuchen for another 10 or so minutes.  It is done when you insert a toothpick and it comes out clean.
YUM!  Fresh from the oven
10 - I invert mine onto a plate, be warned that this will "fall" and sort of flatten out - that is what you want it to do! 

11 - I serve mine with warmed maple syrup. 

What was left after breakfast this morning!
 I hope you enjoy this recipe.

I'd like to leave you with one more tip or idea.  When I find a new recipe I want to try, I faithfully follow the instructions.  After we try the new recipe I find myself often tweaking or adjusting the flavors to suit my family.  When I do this, I always leave the original recipe in tact on my recipe card and make notes on the back of the card as to my adjustments.  Just an idea!

What's around the bend?  I haven't a clue what will be my next food posting.  I usually have the inspiration to blog a recipe hit me about 2 minutes into the recipe.

Is there any recipe you'd like to see blogged?  If so let me know and I'll see if it is in my abilities and pocketbook!

1 comment:

  1. I am picking up apples next weekend and I am going to try this~

    Thank you for sharing~loved the farm and the tree. Miss it often in my little farm life.

    ReplyDelete