Saturday, August 4, 2012

Caruso McKitty

This is our baby, Caruso.  Just your average American Kitty.  Caruso came to us six years ago in February when we lived in New Jersey .  A work friend of mine rescued him from the streets of Philadelphia.  Her cats didn't like him so she found him a "Forever Home".  I saw his picture posted at work and sent it to my hubby, who was in uniform at the time and away from home (Army).  He said okay we could give the cat a try.

Now Caruso's original name was given to him by my friend's nine year old daughter.  She called him Prince.  This would not work for him at our house.  I can't picture my husband and I crooning, "Here Prince" so we had to find a new name.  Since he would "sing" every time he came in or left a room, lept up or down, we came up with Caruso.  I figured he sang like Enrico Caruso.  If you remember, this is the same time that the musician Prince renamed himself and referred to himself as "the artist formerly known as Prince".  Yeah we did the same to Caruso, he is still jokingly referred to as "The cat formerly known as Prince".

So Caruso came to live with us.  I think it took me 20 minutes to fall in love with him that first night, Valentines Day 2006.  My husband came home that Friday to a terrified cat.  My hubby wore combat boots and for whatever reason (we think a man in boots must have hurt him when he lived on the streets) Caruso was TERRIFIED.  So late that night, after we had gone to bed, my husband got up not feeling well.  He went to lay down on the couch and watch some TV and be sick without waking me.  Caruso, who still hadn't really warmed up to my hubby, came and laid on him.  Even though he was scared he wanted to be with my husband.  THAT WAS IT!  Caruso was ours - PERIOD!!!

And so began our life with Caruso.  We've not looked back and cannot image a day without him in it.  Caruso has decided that he loves to quilt, knit and clean!  He lives to help me do things.  He is quite the craft kitty.  I'm sure as time goes on I will blog tons about Caruso.  

Here he is helping me with a quilt for Granddaughter #3  We call him the Quilt Police
Inspecting a baby quilt before it was gifted to a good friend.


No matter what we are doing in the house, Caruso is there to supervise and to help us.


No comments:

Post a Comment