Friday, August 3, 2012

Red Quilt

This quilt was made for my best friend's wedding.  She LOVED the fabric and really LOVED the red!  I didn't follow any published pattern, I drafted and created this myself. 
M's Quilt!  The pattern is based on an old pattern called a Braid.  I call this a modified braid.  I created the patterns for the quilt and pillow shams myself.  The material is by Moda and it is the Luna Note pattern.

I quilted this myself on my Bernina 440 QE.  I definitely built strong arm muscles!  Oh it was difficult!  The finished size was 120 x 98!  She wanted it to have a long drape (distance from the edge of the mattress to the edge of the quilt) Here is what the back looks like.

Back of M's Wedding Quilt


If I had it to do all over, I'd have quilted this on a LAQ (Long Arm Quilting Machine).  The good news is my friend loves it and it makes me happy to see it on her bed, proudly displayed and lovingly used every day.

So that launches me into one of my personal opinions on quiting.  I make most quilts to be USED!  One of the greatest moments in my life as a quilter came from Granddaughter #1.  I had been quilting for many years and then took about a 10 year break.  The first quilt I did, after my long break, was her quilt.  It wasn't perfect but it was hers and she had picked out the fabrics and helped me set the rules for the quilt (for instance each of the focus fabrics could only be on the quilt once and each of the complimentary fabrics could only appear twice etc).  It was about 4 years later that she and her Mom called me to explain that the quilt had a small tear in it and could I fix it?  It was an easy "band aid" fix (thank goodness) but as I was fixing it I saw a small stain and another small wear spot.  I fixed the wear spot and was getting ready to cover up the stain - when it hit me.  Why?  That was the quilt's badge of love.  She was USING the quilt!!!  I will admit to you that I had tears in my eyes.  I live about 250 miles away from her and I never actually saw her use the quilt, but here was the proof that it was used and loved.


1 comment:

  1. Awwwwww~I am smiling after reading this quilt. Of course this is the perspective to have as it means your quilt is loved. What a blessing!

    Love ya
    NM Sis

    ReplyDelete