Saturday, August 4, 2012

Reset on My Quilt Studio

UGH it was a huge task!
When we moved to VA one of our agreements was I could have the small guest room as my studio.  We moved in and I sort of just jammed things in the room willy nilly.  That was 5 years ago.  It was very disorgnaized and it was becoming increasingly difficult for me to use the room, and honestly I didn't want to be in the studio.

So I decided to rip the studio apart. The only thing I left in the room (besides the walls, doors,celing and floor) was the cutting table.

I use a wire cube rack system to help me organize my things.  Because I have so many crafts I need extreme organization or it is unusable.  My biggest craft, by far, is quilting.
Wire rack system set up

You'll see my flag showing 2 members of my family serving in the US military.  I'll blog on that later in a separate post.

The white boxes to the left of the wire racks, are actually drawers (and they end up elsewhere in the final room).  You can also see a wooden book case tucked in on the left side.  That is going to be replaced with a taller bookcase at a later date.  When that comes in I'll blog about it because I am going to be refinishing it myself!

So here is a corner of my room after I had it all organized.
Pretty colors, bright light through the window and my beloved Bernina sewing machine.  Beneath the window is a bench with pretty wicker baskets under it (they are stuffed with projects).  Laying on the bench are the parts and pieces for what would become the gold quilt (it has it's own blog)
And this is the wire cube wall unit assembled and filled

All of my quilting fabrics neatly wrapped and displayed in color families.
At the top is a teddy bear (you can see him sitting on top of a brown cube).  He is one of my hand drafted, hand sewn teddy bears.  I used to make these and sell them, but now I'm just making them for my grandkids. 

So much fabric!  I've been collecting for almost 20 years.  I've traded and bartered.  Some of the fabrics are left overs from commissioned quilts and some are gifts.  I don't subscribe to the old quilting adage, "She who dies with the most fabric wins" but I do enjoy having lots of choices.

You can buy the wire cubes at Target and if you're interested in the fabric storage boards I used to organize things, just drop me a note and I'll give you the contact information.

No comments:

Post a Comment